Tuesday, January 1, 2008

2008: A Bait Odyssey

First off, I want to thank everyone who voted for "The Killer Eagles" last month. I was extremely surprised by its win because I really didn't think I had a chance when I sent it in. I really only submitted it as a vehicle for Director Clint Eastwood, the only Big 8 award that I haven't won yet. Even I didn't get it, I'm very grateful for the five wins especially for Cate Blanchett. I also want to thank the voters for giving me my third Best Author award. It is a very personal honor and I am very gracious.

Now that 2007 is down the drain, we can move onto the future. I'm going to list my 2008 contenders, which may or may not be released, considering I have a habit to shelve pre-planned baits to make way for more spontaneous ones.

For January:
"Masterpiece" Directed by Marc Forster. Starring Max Von Sydow, Paul Dano, and Lauren Bacall. A young artist in NYC takes up a job as an assistant to an aging sculptor, who is depressed by the fact that his wife is slipping into dementia and he has yet to make a name for himself. The two form a strong bond and quickly embark on a journey to find artistic enlightenment.

For any month in the future or never:
"They Walk Among Us" Directed by Ridley Scott. Starring Tom Hanks, Laura Linney, John C. Reilly, and Patrick Dempsey. In the 1970s, a NASA official claims to see alien lights in the sky, causing his wife and boss to become concerned with his mental health until other begin to make claims as well.

"The Cure" Directed by Stephen Soderbergh. Starring Heath Ledger, Don Cheadle, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Seu Jorge, and Albert Finney. Two scientists discover a possible cure for HIV/AIDS at a research facility in Brazil. A WTO official is sent to procure the antidote for international distribution by the UN, but other pharmaceutical companies race to get it by bribing the doctors and using brutal force. The WTO guy is forced to rescue the doctors back to the United States.

"Made In America" Directed by Paul Greengrass. Starring Hugh Jackman, Jamie Foxx, Kate Hudson, and Kurt Russell. The FBI and NYPD track a serial killer who takes out his victims by warning the authorities and media but never fails to make the kill.

"The Lucky Long Island Sisters" Directed by Nancy Meyers. Starring Scarlett Johanssen, Kate Walsh, Mary-Louise Parker, Billy Crudup, and Jack Nicholson. After their mother dies, two estranged sisters and their half-sister are forced to travel to their father's Hamptons estate to collect their inheritance, but learn that their father wishes that they reconnect before the money is handed over.

"Run" Directed by Curtis Hanson. Starring Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, Russell Crowe, Matt Dillon, Natalie Portman, Robert Downey Jr., and Ray Winstone. A New York enforced escapes his mob and moves to Chicago with his wife where he ends up getting caught up in a racket there. He is unaware that his former boss has sent a hitman after him.

1 comment:

DutchmanNick said...

"Masterpiece" sounds great and "The Cure" too (only if handled properly); "The Lucky Long Island Sisters" sounds to me too much like "A Thousand Acres"...
P.S.: Congrats to your big win.