Sunday, January 13, 2008

January Reviews

All Quiet on the Western Front- Bloated cast and the plot is pulling for baitiness a little too much C

Angels Weep in Pakistan- I liked it up until the plot started moving in real time. I don't like it when the endings are revealed either B-

Between the Line of Life and Death- Definitely not a Clooney vehicle, not even for his character. Resembles my "American Tragedy" a little but I enjoyed the way the synopsis was delivered B-

Blood Harmony- Needs a ton of work, not enough to go on C-

The Bluest Eye- Very interesting, well written, good family drama A-

Brooks and Cane- Great new musical, perfect mix of "Chicago" and "Dreamgirls" A-

A Corner of the Universe- Kinda long and hard to read, casting could use work C+

The Dark Tower- Good conclusion to the saga. I totally got the whole dreamscape idea but that could be because I've read the books and I know the feeling. One of the best endings in literature. B+

Death Whispered a Lullaby- I was bored and had a hard time following it C-

The Elusive Flame- I didn't believe the ending C-

Finding Death- Character names could've been more creative (Alfred Pennasworth=Alfred Pennyworth...hmmm?), not a Coppola movie, would've worked better with Fincher or Nolan B

Killer Queen- Well, you remade one of my classic baits "Mercury", and I'll do have to say that I really like the Casey Affleck casting, but because I have such a strong bias in terms of grading this bait, I will not. Sorry.

Kubrick Unfinished- Not a fan of the casting and the events seem too recent C+

A Life of Death- Okay. I understand the Burton/Depp/Carter collaboration and it fits, but I can't help but wonder if it would look and feel too much like "Sweeney Todd" B-

Magic Lantern- I would've liked to see more of his favorite actors like Max Von Sydow in there instead of Ingrid Bergman. The director choice is excellent. B+

Monsieur Verdoux- At Bait an Oscar we have trends that get really annoying. First it was the ensemble wave (the biggest yet) after "Crash" won Best Picture. Then came the 5 Months of Ryan Gosling. In the past few months, starting with "Blackwater Park" there have been so many baits about serial killers and I'm downright sick of them. This one was average, at best C

Pine Terrace- Way too much like "Reservation Road" and the end didn't make sense C-

Primary Concerns- First let me say, the last word in the plot is "pubic". Someone should change that. It's got very good intentions but doesn't tell us something the media already hasn't C

Problem Solver- What about this is baity? C-

Tentpole!- Not an Apatow film but fun nonetheless B-

The Trial of Alice Adams- Way too long, bloated cast, mediocre story C-

Their Grace- Well cast, good director, grounded plot, forceful meaning B+

WeekEnd- Terrible ending to a plot that had some traction D

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for the review Pat.

Anonymous said...

He remade Mercury kind of like you remade Rocket Man.

24rules said...

I didn't want to grade "Killer Queen" because too many people would've complained if I didn't give it a good grade.

Adrian James said...

I am sorry, i did not know that you personally had written a Freddie Mercury biopic. Thx for commenting on casting choice.
maybe you'll grade my next one

zgamer said...

Thanks for the positive review Pat.