Saturday, October 6, 2007

Awards Profile: Into The Wild

"Wow." That's what I said to my friend as I slowly rose from my seat after seeing this movie. Nearly 2 1/2 hours in length, "Into the Wild" is a cinematic masterpiece filled with astounding cinematograpy, amazing acting, and exceptional direction. I'll be very angry if this doesn't show up in at least the Drama race at the Golden Globes. It deserves it for daring to be a visual feast of family lessons and naturalizm.

Emile Hirsch is in control the entire time and portrays the sense of slight insanity very well, only showing it when he should. Catherine Keener could slide into a nom if the rest of the field is weak. Her part isn't that big but she steals the show whenever she's there. She has one of the those monologues that the Academy just eats up to. Hal Holbrook could slip in too as acknowledgment for his years of devotion to television and film. He is very heartbreaking, especially in his eyes, which Penn utilizes to get inside the character.

Awards Contender:
Best Picture
Best Director-Sean Penn
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Actor-Emile Hirsch
Best Supporting Actor-Hal Holbrook
Best Supporting Actress-Catherine Keener
Best Cinematography
Best Film Editing
Best Original Score
Best Original Song (There are four options here, and all worthy)

1 comment:

D.W. said...

I've very excited about this movie. I love the story. I love the simplicity of it all. It's something a lot of people really wanna do but are too scared to...(live).