Saturday, August 4, 2007

Awards Profile: The Bourne Ultimatum

Definately the best in the series. One of the best spy movies ever. It could even be one of the greatest action thrillers. Paul Greengrass' new installment in the "Bourne" trilogy is so fast-paced and action-packed that by the time the credits began rolling, everyone in the theatre was like, "Ah, I want more." There really is nothing bad that I can say about this movie because everything was exceptional. Well, there was a new version of Moby's Extreme Ways at the end and I didn't like that.

Greengrass follows up his Oscar nom with another potential contender. He is just so good at making movies that it is hard to believe he hasn't already won. I know it's not often that an action movie gets recognized by the Academy but I think this one really has a shot. It is that good. The editing and cinematography deserve some recognition for making the chase scenes so chaotic and shaky that you feel as if you're actually in it. My heart was racing during the Tangiers foot race. The acting, like in the previous two, was very good. Matt Damon is always good in whatever he does. Joan Allen returned to give her role justice. David Strathairn was expectedly sinister as the CIA man trying to kill Bourne for personal reasons. Albert Finney had a good cameo, which was very revealing of Bourne's past. But the standout in this film was Julia Stiles, reprising her role of Nikki Parsons from the first and second films. A big character reveal really reflects her abilities as an actress. And one of my favorite parts of the film is when she changes her hair color and she ends up looking like Marie (Bourne's past flame played by Franka Potente).

Probably the best action movie of the year and I hope that there are more movies like this in the future. Good directors making genre movies. It pleases the audience and the Academy. It's a win-win situation, I don't know why more filmmakers don't do it.

Next: "Superbad" or "Halloween" or "3:10 At Yuma" (whatever seems to be relevant will happen, but definately the last one)

1 comment:

Ryne said...

I agree with everything you said Pat. This movie was amazing; maybe the best action movie I've ever seen. Matt Damon was great and this was the first time I actually like Julia Stiles. The best performance in my mind was given by Joan Allen though.