Friday, August 31, 2007

Tony's "To Dwell in Evil"



Hot of the success of "The Winter Sun", Tony crafts a bait of biblical proportions, literally, in "To Dwell in Evil". This new bait is the story of Cain and Abel, the sons of Adam and Eve, who grow apart and vengeance spawns resulting in the very first murder.

Directed by Ridley Scott and penned by Ronald Harwood, the film stars Ben Foster and Joseph Gordon-Leavitt as Cain and Abel, respectively. Maria Bello plays Eve and Guy Pearce is Adam with Christopher Lee as the voice of God.

The bait, undoubtedly, raises many questions because of its religious nature and the fact that it is more a parable than a story. The entire time I was reading it, I couldn't help but wish Tony had taken the story of Cain and Abel and adapted it to a different time period, but I assume he wanted to stay true to the original. This effort succeeds where so many have failed in that it is able to contain its plot in two paragraphs that are simple and well-written. I really don't have any problems with it.

The awards section is extremely in depth and puts across what it trying to say very effectively. It's one of the best in a while. This bait could show up in the BP shortlist but I say that reluctantly because the story is somewhat restrictive. Ben Foster is the bait's best shot at success as the vengeful Cain, a role that provides a range of emotions that would be perfect for this underrated young actor. I don't entirely agree with any of the casting in the bait but I can't really see it any other way that wouldn't use unknowns, which doesn't really work in this contest.

Grade: B+

Awards Contender:

Best Picture

Best Director-Ridley Scott

Best Adapted Screenplay

Best Actor-Ben Foster

Best Plot/Synopsis

Best Awards Campaign

Best Poster

Most Likely to Become a Cult Film

Most Like to Become a Box-Office Success

Best Title

Best Tagline

4 comments:

Harry said...

This is the bait that I'm anticipating the most for September. While I strongly disagree with the casting choice of Greg Kennear as Adam, Tony will more than likely deliver something dark, deep, powerful, unique and unforgettable (or that's what I hope).

Bryce said...

Now I'm anxious to read it.

Tony said...

Thanks for the review Pat, and thanks for your comments Harry and Bryce.

Also I casted Guy Pearce as Adam :)

Harry said...

Oh yeah, I read wrongly. Sorry for that Tony and good luck this month anyways. :)