Saturday, June 23, 2007

Reactions after GG's and SAG's

Well, all the precursors are done and we just have to wait for the official competition. Here are some of my thoughts on them.

Golden Globes:
Best Picture Drama- Oil
Not a huge surprise here but I'm a little disappointed. I feel "Lucky Clover" should've won but oh well. I have a feeling this may end up being a "Babel" situation and either "Clover" or "The Informer" taking the top prize

Best Actor Drama- Topher Grace for Gray Daze
Saw this coming since the beginning of the month. This and his SAG win should solidify his Oscar.

Best Actress Drama- Glenn Close for The Last Page
Hooray! I've been rooting for her since the beginning because her role is so baity, therefore making her more worthy for the contest.

Best Picture Comedy/Musical- Mom Is 80
I didn't win...but that's not shocking. "Mom Is 80" is a very worthy bait with a great cast and story.

Best Actor Comedy/Musical- Kevin Spacey for Behind the show
They guy I though should've won did over Jim Carrey, who I thought would be the frontrunner in the Lead Actor category. The bait itself isn't much to talk about but Spacey's character had so much meat in it.

Best Actress Comedy/Musical- Bea Arthur for Mom Is 80
I'm so happy Renee Zellweger didn't win (sorry to the author). I don't think Bea Arthur should've won either but it will suffice.

Best Supporting Actor- Christopher Plummer for Oil
I predicted it but he probably won't win the Oscar

Best Supporting Actress- Julliette Lewis for Clockwork
I really didn't know what to make of this category because it's been the most uneven throughout the contest. An example could be from my October bait "Live from New York" where Amy Sedaris garnered a lot of attention at the GG's and on the forums but wasn't even nominated for the Oscar. She went on to win Best Supporting Actress of the year, but that's beside the point.

Best Director- James Mangold for The 27th Victim
Okay...I really don't have anything to say about this.

Best Screenplay- Charlie Kaufman for Glitz
I was really surprised to see this didn't go to "Mom Is 80" but I guess this bait had to win somewhere.


SAG:
Best Ensemble-Oil
This award should have gone to the best reviewed bait of the month, "The Informer", but "Oil" prevails again. While I don't think the bait will be crowned bait of the month, I think James Somerton may be up for Best Author.

Best Actor-Topher Grace-Gray Daze
And the statues keep coming...

Best Actress-Glenn Close-The Last Page
and coming...

Best Supporting Actor-Christopher Plummer-Oil
and coming...

Best Supporting Actress-Juliette Lewis-Clockwork
and coming.

2 comments:

Alex said...

Pat,
You mention Amy Sedaris being nominated for the SAG and GG in October. Toni Collette, from my bait "Fosse", won both and wasn't nominated. I think that was the most upsidedown month for that category. But then again, I shouldn't really complain about my misfortunes that month.

zgamer said...

I love your comments on the acting winners for the SAG's. "and coming...and coming...". It's so true!

Good luck with Captain Fantastic Pat. Hoffman is my frontrunner for casting choice.