Saturday, July 21, 2007

Awards Profile: Hairspray

I really can't say anything bad about this movie. It was great, no not great, amazing. It was everything I expected it to be and more! This is now the frontrunner for Best Picture (Musical/Comedy) and could even be a strong contender for the big prize. Most of the credit goes to Director/Choreographer Adam Shankman, who the directed the very underrated "Bringing Down The House" in 2003. It must be something about film musical where the director and choreographer are the same person, I mean, look at "Chicago" and "West Side Story". I guess the director can really feel the passion of the story through his own fancy footwork. He was even able to squeeze in little bits of outrageous humor, especially in "I Can Hear The Bells", which gave me the most laughs I've had at a movie in a long time.

Nikki Blonsky does very well as the main character and proves that it doesn't take a seasoned actor to make the role her own. But the real spark comes from the supporting cast. I expected Michelle Pfieffer to be better but she really didn't have a whole lot of screentime, but what she was in was pretty good. James Marsden surprised me with his very corny Corny Collins. Being able to see right through his fake smile really brings out his talents. Elijah Kelley is going to be the male breakout star of the year. Queen Latifah shows that she still does her best work in musicals with a very inspiring solo moment. It is a song to get her a nomination. But as I expected, John Travolta stood out the most. His turn as Edna Turnblad deserves to be nominated for Best Supporting Actor. His voice isn't much but his dancework is exceptional. And his hilarious accent really brings the viewer into the nonsense that is his character. Everytime he would talk, hell everytime he did anything, the theater would just start laughing.

Expect this film to do well at the GGs and garner many tech noms at the Oscars, and hopefully, some big 8 attention for Shankman, Travolta, and Latifah. Best Original Song too.

Next: The Simpsons Movie

4 comments:

Brian Erickson said...

Loved it, loved it, loved it. You can see the review on my blog. And I agree that this is a contender for Best Picture (M/C). I can't believe that this met my extremely high expectations, since I'm a huge fan of the Broadway show.

And I also can't wait for The Simpsons Movie. Most anticipated movie ever. No exaggeration.

Anonymous said...

OMG I just saw Hairspray and all I have to say is...I absolutely loved it!!! It is exactly everything a summer blockbuster should be. It's entertaining, it's funny, the performances are great, the music is fantastic and it has a great message and spirit to it. John Travolta I think should get a Best Actor nomination and Queen Latifah should get a Best Supporting Actress nomination. It's very well directed as well. I loved this film so much. Even more than "Dreamgirls" and "Chicago". Go See This Movie!!!

zgamer said...

I want to see this so badly. I have to get my girlfriend to go with me. I'm so excited from all the great reviews.

BrooklynFilmCritic said...

I didn't have high expectations for this movie...especially after the disasters that were "Phantom of the Opera" and "The Producers" but I LOVED this movie. I thought it was funny, charming, and I dare you not to tap your toes to the songs. I agree with you Pat on "I hear the bells" it was freaking hilarious. Unfortunately I don't see the Oscar chances for Hairspray too high cuz AMPAS is way too full of themselves to nominate a "light-hearted" film.