Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Top 10 Albums of the Past Year

10. "Spring Awakening" Soundtrack
Best Song: "The Bitch of Living" The most upbeat song in the musical's depressing collection. It captures male teenage angst with such ease and makes you laugh a little at yourself.

Runner-Up: "Mama Who Bore Me"



9. Akon- "Konvicted"
Best Song: "Don't Matter" A nice, little R&B track with a tiny bit of rap thrown in. Just the perfect balance. Akon's unique voice is really brought out in this one.
Runner-Up: "Smack That"


8. Timbaland- "Shock Value"
Best Song: "Apologize" Featuring a relative unknown with a beautiful voice (One Republic), this song carries a strong beat and brings a slight tear to the eye with it's sad story. I just can't stop listening to it.
Runner-Up: "Give It To Me"



7. Avril Lavigne- "The Best Damn Thing"
Best Song: "When You're Gone" While lacking the emotional power of "I'm With You", this ballad satisfies in a sea of punk rock/alternative tracks that is this CD from Avril.
Runner-Up: "Girlfriend" (But I must say "I Don't Have To Try", ya know "I wear the pants!", is really starting to grow on me! LOL!)



6. Daughtry- "Daughtry"
Best Song: "Home" It's already become a radio hit and could even pass some of Kelly Clarkson's stuff as the best song to come from an Idol contestant. Very dramatic and...OMG, as I am writing this, it has just come on the radio. Ha!
Runner-Up: "Feels Like Tonight"



5. "Hairspray" Soundtrack
Best Song: "You Can't Stop The Beat" One of the most upbeat and fast-paced songsout there, the film version is able to capture the same spark as the original. Although it features horrible vocals from Amanda Bynes and John Travolta, you can't help but keep the song in your head. It is so addictive, in a good way. Can't wait for the movie.
Runner-Up: "I Know Where I've Been"



4. "Dreamgirls" Soundtrack
Best Song: "It's All Over/And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" This one is a no-brainer with one of the best vocal performances in music history and a kickass accompanyment to go with it. I included the track before it because the second half is really just a solo extention of the first. J-Hud is da bomb!
Runner-Up: "I Am Changing"



3. Elton John- "The Bridge"
Best Song: "Tinderbox" Very relevant and goes along with some of Elton's more politcal work (i.e. "Madman Across the Water"). The chorus is very catchy as well. I'm glad he is drifting into the country/pop area where, I believe, some of his best work comes from.
Runner-Up: "Old '67"


2. Justin Timberlake- "Futuresex / Lovesounds"
Best Song: "Losing My Way" It tells the story of a burnout who is seeking help to he can turn his life around. It is heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time. Some of JTs best writing too. The addition of Timbaland and a chorus at the end really brings the song to its peak.
Runner-up: "Lovestoned/I Think That She Knows"

1. Maroon 5- "It Won't Be Soon Before Too Long"

Best Song: "Makes Me Wonder" Everything about this song is just great. The lyrics are hot and the music makes you just want to get up and dance. The band really had a fun time with this one and it will probably be a strong contender for Record of the Year.

Runner-Up: "Back At Your Door"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

J.Hud can sing her ass off!!!

Ryne said...

i think you need to change the best song off sexy love to sexy back (i'm bringin' sexy back YA!) lol well at least it my favorite song

Ryne said...

my bad...futuresex not sexy love