Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Awards Profile: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

So I was a little worried for this 5th venture into the world of witchcraft and wizardry because "Azkaban" failed to impress me and "Goblet of Fire" was terrible up until the last 15 minutes. I decided to try something new and not read the book before seeing the film and let me just say it paid off well. I haven't talked to anybody who read the book yet so I can't really judge but this is the best Harry Potter movie yet. Very well paced by David Yates and extremely well acted by Daniel Radcliffe.

I would hope that Radcliffe (and Shia LaBeouf) would be recognized at the end of the year but I doubt it. This movie will succeed in various tech categories, but not screenplay because this one was absolutely dreadful. The visual effects were good but not great and don't stand a chance against "Transformers" or "Pirates". It might have just been my theater but I thought the sound was terrible, so don't expect it to show up there. Makeup and art direction are the safest bets, more likely the latter. But the one area I hope this film succeeds in is the cinematography. It was exceptional and surpasses the current frontrunner "Zodiac" by a mile. I can't wait for the next one.

Next up: Hairspray

4 comments:

Bryce said...

:( no Dark knight teaser trailer i presume :(

24rules said...

No, that probably won't be until November or December.

Bryce said...

that's what I was thinking but there were rumors that a teaser trailer would be attached with Harry potter. Guess they were only rumors

Ryne said...

I totally agree...BEST POTTER YET! and that is saying alot for someone like me who loved the 3rd and 4th movies.